06 Aug Recipe Thursday – Mini Homemade Twinkies, Pop-Tarts, Ho Ho’s and more: A Supermarket Classic All Dolled Up
Supermarket Classic’s all dolled up. Here’s the Hostess Twinkies recipe by Brandi Milloy and popsugar.com. These adorable cakes might make you take a double take, save for their petite size. Watch the video ( http://www.popsugar.com/food/Mini-Homemade-Twinkies-Recipe-Video-30976907 ) to see how they’re made and get baking. To view all homemade classics: Ho Ho’s, Pop Tarts and more go to: http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/featured%20recipes/homemade-zingers-ho-hos-pop-tarts-and-more/ss-AAd4uqI?ocid=DELLDHP#image=1
Mini Homemade Twinkies – feel free to substitute the box of yellow cake mix with your favorite from-scratch yellow cake recipe.
1 box yellow cake mix, plus the ingredients called for on the box
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup marshmallow fluff
1. Prepare the yellow cake batter according to instructions on the box.
2. Fill the mini eclair molds 3/4 full with batter, and bake according to box instructions (use the instructions provided for cupcakes) or until the cakes are light golden brown and spring back to the touch. Allow them to cool completely.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until it is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add 1/4 of the powdered sugar, and beat until thoroughly combined. Add the remaining powdered sugar in 3 batches, alternating with the heavy cream. Add the vanilla and the marshmallow fluff and mix until completely incorporated, about 3 minutes.
4. Fit a piping bag with a narrow metal tip. Fill it with the frosting.
5. For each Twinkie, insert the metal tip of the pastry bag about halfway into the bottom of the Twinkie and squeeze in filling until it’s flush with the cake. (Be careful to not overfill.) Repeat twice more across the bottom of each miniature cake, and then with the entire batch.
Yield: 48 mini Twinkies
Recipe courtesy of msn.com food and drink, popsugar.com and Brandi Milloy